• estaciosvaloi

Mozambique: Work on Mphanda Nkuwa dam project to start in 2024



Photo: O País

The construction works of the Mphanda Nkuwa hydroelectric dam and the respective energy transport infrastructure may start in 2024, Carlos Yum said his Thursday. The project will cost between US$4.5 and US$5 billion.


Director of the Mphanda Nkuwa development office, Carlos Yum, on Thursday morning laid out the status of the Mphanda Nkuwa hydroelectric dam construction project.

According to Yun, the project is budgeted at around US$5 billion, and work will start in 2024, the year in which financing is expected to be definitively concluded.


The project will take a total of six to seven years to complete.

Of the approximately US$5 billion price tag, 60% is for the construction of the dam and 40% for the power transmission line.

At this moment, the development office is preparing the launch of public tenders for the updating of the project’s feasibility studies.


By December of this year, the office will launch a tender for the identification of the strategic investment partner, whose financial closing a 2024 deadline has been set.


In terms of shareholding, the Mphanda Nkuwa project will have the participation of the Mozambican state, through Electricidade de Moçambique [EDM] and Cahora Bassa Hydroelectric [ HCB], with between 30% and 35% of shares. The remaining 65% will be secured from private investors.

By Emildo Sambo

Source: O País

12 visualizações0 comentário